Thursday, October 9, 2008

Hoots, Howls, & Other Country Sounds

I am wondering if owls are an endangered species, I know they are not extinct because we have one that sits outside our bedroom window every night and hoots, and hoots, and hoots, and hoots....get the picture? You would not think that an owl would be very loud, and in actuality it is not, it is the repetition of it's hooting that can drive a person crazy. I am not violent in my nature...I have honestly met animals that I like better than some people that I have met, but if I find out which tree this owl sits in every night I may be tempted to become violent with him or her.
I am sure that if it was possible to actually sit the owl down and explain to it that I am a mommy of 2 children, and that have just recently decided to join with the group of children who boycott daytime naps, so the only time I actually get to rest is at night....well until it moved in, that it would understand and gladly move to our neighbors house. Who, by the way, do not sleep at night, and I am not sure what they do during the day...but that is a completely different posting.
If the owl wasn't enough, our neighbors are one dog shy of having a pack like Caesar Milian, the dog whisperer. They have dogs of every shape, and size, but unfortunately for us it seems they all bark at the same level....LOUD! And when it rains, which they apparently do not like, they bark.....VERY LOUD! Not only do they bark, but they howl, not at sirens or "special" sounds but at everything. They are also mean.... both our neighbors and their dogs... rabid, you ask....the dogs I think are in the clear, but not sure about the neighbors. We have tried to be friendly, but they act like they will bite even if you were trying to feed them, so we just listen to their barking. I hope they don't read this and decide to join the owl and sit outside of our window and bark...both the neighbors and their dogs.
We actually live across the road from a Turkey Farm, and for those of you who are not familiar with turkeys they can actually gobble in unison....and very loudly. The other night Amelia Grace was sitting with her Daddy in the living room and she said mommy the turkey trucks are here. I looked out the front window and there were tractor trailer trucks parked on the side of the road and in front of our house waiting to go into the turkey farm to pick up their loads. They didn't get loaded until 3:00am...is turkey business best done at night? They certainly don't make less noise at night.
Actually during the day it is quiet, and calm, except for the occassional tractor going down the road. We are still very blessed to live where we do , and that our children get to see turkey, deer, turtles, cows, goats, horses.....I just wish they would choose to be both seen & HEARD not while I am trying to sleep.

No comments: